Students who wish to apply for non-matriculated status must submit an application online through the Graduate Admissions website. Your application must include a copy of all undergraduate transcripts as well as a personal statement of c. 500 words. The statement is our chance to get to know you beyond your transcript, so use it to discuss your academic background, reasons why you'd like to take MA-level courses in our department, and anything else you consider relevant. Once you have completed the online application, please notify the Director of Graduate Studies (DGS), that you have done so. This will ensure that your application receives prompt attention.
Please note the following policies for non-matriculated students:
- You can take no more than 12 graduate credits (4 classes).
- After completion of the first six credits, you must have a minimum GPA of 3.0, and your continued enrollment is subject to the review of the department's Director of Graduate Studies.
- You cannot enroll for additional classes with more than two incompletes.
- After your maximum of 12 credits has been reached, you may only continue taking history courses after successfully applying for formal admission to the program via the Graduate Admissions Office.
- As for all graduate students, your acceptance into the program is contingent upon the discretion of the department.